Monday, July 7, 2008

July. I believe I'll skip you next year.

July,

I'm not sure that you're good for me. Except that you are. I find your gifts mostly hard in the beginning, but in the end, highly beneficial improving life-changing.

When did our relationship begin, July?

About 5 years ago, it was in July when we first faced foreclosure. That little package came back a couple years later. Thanks for breaking the seal.

Maybe that wasn't it. Maybe it was 4 years ago. Isn't that when you took my sister's mind that July 8th?? When her brain bled and her ventricles stopped draining? When her tumor got angry and started wreaking havoc on her short term memory? When she spent 3 weeks in the hospital and then came home to live with me?

And then 3 years ago, July 8th? You tried to do the same thing to a dear family friend. His brain wasn't tumor filled, but what's up with you an the brain injuries? Especially during you?

2 years ago, there was guy, great guy, preaching on Sunday morning. It was the 16th. At the end of his sermon on "The God of Second Chances" you stole his brain too?! (maybe that was God and not you. Maybe He's not all about the second chances after all...regardless! I blame you, July.)

Last year, you didn't do too bad. I got this great job and started the whole process of moving across the country. I may be alone in the belief that this was actually a blessing, especially in light of your gift this year.

This year? Wow. Thanks. I actually got just what I wanted. Only problem? You dropped it like a nuclear bomb and let it blow up all over my kids hearts. They'll be okay. No, really. Don't take your gift back. Just let us (those who remain here, that is) recover. Let us take our high pressure showers and salve our wounds.

We'll be ready for you next year. Unless we skip...

1 comment:

  1. Man, is everything OK? Your post made me a little worried. I don't know what to pray for, but I'll be praying for you...

    ReplyDelete