Thursday, October 9, 2008

My first time...

I went on a business trip last week and I had the awesome pleasure of heading back to the place I left a little over a year ago. It was my first time back since that early morning last August, when the car was packed up and I started the 5 day journey east with the kids.

I got to stay with my parents and drive my daddy's car. My momma cooked for me and did some laundry, took in my clothes so they'd fit, and even took me shopping. It was such a privilege to be spoiled during those days in their home again. Being with my folks was absolutely the best part about the trip.

I took ^that^ picture on my last day. We went down to the waterfront in Des Moines and walked out on the fishing pier. It was a beautiful day and seeing the Sound was just what I needed after such a heavily charged, emotion filled week back home.

I find it somewhat difficult to call Seattle home, now, especially having been back. Riding home on Sunday afternoon from the airport, anticipating hugging my kids and just being home was new again and freshly exhilarating.

There have definitely been times during the last year that I wanted nothing more than to go back to Seattle. Thinking that's where my home was. I know it's rather cliche, but what I learned most about my trip "home" is that when all was said and done, I actually left home and visited a place I once lived.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip up - and had good weather, too! :) Good to read how you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa (the girls' moma)October 22, 2008 at 4:00 AM

    Shake the dust from your sandals, my dear. You're growing and making changes that are good ones. I'm proud of you for making the trip and standing up to the ghosts. I'm hopeful for you that each trip back to visit your parents will be easier and less painful.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete