Friday, December 22, 2006

All I want for Christmas

I have been forced to think about what I might want to put on my Christmas list this year. It's been a bit of a struggle for me. There's pretty much only been one thing that I really want and it's bugging the poopie out of my spouse. He says that I'm ruining the whole meaning of Christmas by not wanting to have a bunch of stuff on my list.

We have very different opinions about the meaning of Christmas, quite clearly.

Where as he would like a little bit of this and a little bit of that, I would like mostly only intangibles or impossibles.

I would like more time. More time to enjoy every minute of my life. The kind of time that stops and lets me soak in every wonderful part of every moment with my kids. The kind of time that allows me to see the good in those around me. The kind of time that allows me to be rested. The kind of time that forces me to not procrastinate. The kind of time that eliminates regret when those I love aren't with me.

I would also like to have time that allows for re-do's. Not that I regret many actions that I've taken in my life. I wouldn't be who I am without having done all that I did, but there are places in my life that I don't think I appreciated enough.

Appreciation isn't something that you can just plug in and start up, I don't think. I think it's a character trait. The kind of thing that you really have to work toward. Is there a book or something that I can read or a special kind of tea that enhances appreciation?

Time and appreciation. Is that too much to ask for? It is Christmas after all, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment