Thursday, December 28, 2006

Are vacations really a good thing?

So, I made it through my week off and only one person died. Do you realize that bad things tend to happen to people when I go on vacation? Really weird, bad things...let's look at my track record.
  • I took Sweetie and the Middle Mann to Chicago when she was 3 1/2 and he was almost 1. We were gone for 3 weeks. Poor little guy didn't poop the whole time we were gone. Seriously!
  • I know it's sinful, but Softie and I went camping over Labor Day weekend before we were married. Princess Diana was killed that weekend. Ugh.
  • I'd been hired to replace a gal who had gone to school to be a teacher. She was just about done and getting ready to student teach. I was supposed to train into her position for about 3 months. Three weeks after starting this job, I got married and we went on our honeymoon. While we were gone, the person whose position I was hired to fill was brutally attacked by her ex-boyfriend and she nearly died. Horrible for her. Oh, and on that same vacation, John F. Kennedy, Jr. died. Not as personal of a connection, but this does contribute to the fear celebrities should have when I'm not working.
  • When Hunter was about 10 months old, we took a family vacation for 10 days to the Bahamas. Upon our return, Mr. Mann didn't work for four months.
  • I took a week off in July 2004 during which my sister had a stroke and ended up living with us for a year and a half.
  • Last January, I took off time to be with my sister when she died.
  • This year, I took a week off for Christmas to be with my family and take advantage of the benefit of the very gracious amount of PTO offered by my company. Grandma died.
Needlesstosay, I think I need to be very careful about planning time off in the future. I really don't want anyone to be hurt on account of my time off. And I certainly don't want to lose anyone else.

1 comment:

  1. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    on an already bright and cheery day, your blog always makes it better...
    and i live with you...


    thats pretty raw-some

    ReplyDelete